I’ve done lots of experimenting lately, trying to find a process for making leaves to use with Ganutell flowers. I actually love leaves made in the Ganutell style, especially when I use the light green metallic floss spun with the same color wire, but I wanted to come up with some leaves that were a little different, perhaps larger.
I’ve seen some leaves made with something called ‘sugar paper’ that were quite lovely, but I had no idea what that was or how they were made. Google wasn’t much help, either. Then a friend living in Denmark (Hi, Maryann!) graciously sent me a stack of this paper – turns out to be quite similar to our kid’s construction paper. Go figure. I had no idea how these leaves were made so here’s where my experimenting started.
Now after lots of wasted paper and materials, I’ve come up with some leaves that I can use. These are actually made with a paper called “Stardream” that I special order to use when I make sculptured flowers for cards, etc. This paper has a wonderful texture and a beautiful sheen. I cut out leaf shapes with my Cameo, then used ModPodge to stick two together with a wire in between. I used a sponge with acrylic paint – gold and red on these – to add some depth. They’re mounted just as I would Ganutell leaves.
The flower I used for this arrangement is made using kite petals with silver beads. The center of the large flower is a 12mm crystal surrounded with the same silver beads. The petals include lots of these silver beads and are surrounded with silver wire. The buds have a similar center with smaller crystals, and some silver wire leaves.
I think I can still improve on the process to create these leaves, and I definitely want to try some different shapes. Using the larger leaves allows for a bigger arrangement, so I’m going to try some 10″ wreaths. Lots of experimenting in my studio this week, for sure. Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!!